August 11, 2011
The hard work of green-thumbed volunteers is being recognized today, following an announcement earlier this month that the University of Alberta’s Campus Community Garden will receive an award.
The garden, an initiative organized by the Students' Union’s Environmental Coordination Office of Students since 2005, has earned Sustainable Food Edmonton’s 2011 Community Garden Award.
Sustainable Food Edmonton’s mission is to encourage Edmontonians’ creation and participation in an “equitable and ecologically sound food system.”
“This recognition reinforces the SU’s commitment to citizenship and sustainability,” said Colten Yamagishi, SU Vice President (Student Life). “ECOS provides meaningful opportunities for students to improve the environment and build community.”
ECOS’ Campus Community Garden educates students and volunteers through workshops on gardening, composting, harvesting, food security, and sustainable lifestyles. The garden’s output is enjoyed by volunteers or given to the Campus Food Bank.
The two winners of the 2011 Community Garden Award were selected through a combination of online voting and judging by a group of representatives from City Council and Edmonton's various food security organizations.
The title will be given out today during a ceremony at City Hall.
For more information please contact:
University of Alberta Students’ Union
- Students' Union welcomes Dr. André Costopoulos, new Dean of Students ...
- Students' Council and General Faculties Council Election results
- University of Alberta increases accountability and transparency of Mandatory Non-Instructional ...
- Candidates announced for Students' Council and General Faculties Council Elections
- SU Election Results
- Candidates for the 2014-2015 SU Executive Election
- The CoSSS Fee and FGSR
- Students Concerned Elections Changes will Inhibit Youth Vote
- University of Alberta Students and Administration Make Positive Strides to ...
- Students Prepare to Launch an International Students' Association
- SU Releases Discussion Paper on the Peter Lougheed Leadership College
- The Students’ Union celebrates Green & Gold Day
- Continuing Undergraduate Scholarships On Schedule
- SUB Renovation Update: Phase 2 of storm sewer relocation work ...
- SUB Renovation Update: Site preparation for Phase 2 of storm ...
- Get Involved!
- The Daily Grind sets up shop, RATT reopens!
- Getting Involved in SU Advocacy!
- U of A Withholds up to $500,000 in Scholarships