Who We Are
The University of Alberta Students’ Union (the UASU) is the official body that represents all undergraduate students: we act as a strong advocate for students at the university, and to all levels of government.
We operate a variety of businesses intended to appeal to students (from bars and a deli, to a convenience store and a full service print shop), and provide access to a wide range of student services designed to meet the needs of all of our members. We also operate - and own - the Students' Union Building, and run a budget of more than $10 million, with more than 200 staff.
The UASU is a student-centric organization that is run by students for students, and prides itself on being a proactive organization that is sensitive to the needs of individuals and the student body as a whole. We are committed to ensuring that your education is affordable and of the highest quality, and that your experience is a very positive one.
Some of the things we have done recently include:
- Our nonpartisan Get Out The Vote (GOTV) campaign got 4000+ pledges for the provincial election. Over 7500 people voted at the advance polling station in SUB, three times the average turnout!
- As members of The Council of Alberta University Students (CAUS), we helped to shape Bill 19 and its regulations, which made tuition predictable and gave students a much stronger voice on fee increases.
- As members of The Canadian Alliance of Student Associations (CASA), we played a big part in the advocacy that guided the new federal budget. Major wins include better funding for Indigenous students, work-integrated learning, and reduced student loan interest rates.
- We partnered with the Alberta Pharmacy Students' Association in a successful fight to save a study break for Pharmacy students. In the future, Pharmacy students will get a fair voice on schedule changes.
- We led the creation of the University's Council on Student Affairs (COSA). Students make up more than half of COSA's voting members.
- We partnered with the HUB Community Association and got the University to commit $2 million to improving student safety, including $600,000 for HUB Mall security upgrades.
Here's some of the things we achieved in the past:
- Negotiated a U-Pass agreement with ETS that gives students unlimited transit in and around Edmonton for a fraction of the cost of a monthly pass.
- Implemented a Health & Dental Plan that provides affordable health care coverage for all students. We also succeeded in negotiating a universal opt-out clause for those who don’t need or want coverage—a feature that is almost unheard of in student health plans.
- Successfully lobbied for a provincial regulation capping tuition increases to the rate of inflation.
- Given out about $1 million a year in grants and awards that help make school more accessible to those who are qualified, not just to those who can afford it.
- And last but not least, organized three successful Guinness World Record dodgeball games that brought students, faculty and university staff together for a common goal in a fun event.
In 2010/2011 the Students' Union began publishing an annual report. All documents are presented in PDF format.
Detailed financial numbers for previous years are available from the Budgets and Financial Statements page.
|2013/2014||2013/2014 Annual Report|
|2012/2013||2012/2013 Annual Report|
|2011/2012||2011/2012 Annual Report|
|2010/2011||2010/2011 Annual Report|