Joint statement from Acting Provost and Vice-President (Academic) Martin Ferguson-Pell and Students’ Union President Petros Kusmu:
The University of Alberta administration and the Students’ Union executive have settled a dispute related to changes made to the student residence, Lister Hall, announced last July.
This is great news for the university, and we look forward to continuing to work together productively in the future.
The major points of the agreement include:
- a facilitated process to arrive at consensus with respect to the meaning and requirements of consultation;
- confirmation of the 2008 MOA between the Lister Hall Students’ Association and Residence Services, with a commitment to update the MOA;
- students will be in the majority on the Residence Advisory Committee;
- the university will provide the Students’ Union with current and historical data related to alcohol-related incidents in residences;
- the Students’ Union will provide feedback on the existing alcohol policy;
- a student representative will serve as a member of the hiring committee for the position of Assistant Dean of Students, Residence Life;
- the university will seek staff, student and community input as part of the review of residence operations related to the changes announced in July 2012; and
- the university makes final decisions on whether the current alcohol policy as articulated in all University Residence House Rules (including Lister Hall – Residence Specific Rules) should be modified in any way, effective for September 2013. The university will consult with the SU regarding any such proposed modifications.