Student Group Services offers Executive Training at various times of the year to deliver informational content to student group leaders, required as per the Student Groups Procedure for student group recognition.
This training session provides student group leaders with the opportunity to build networks with other clubs, meet Student Group Services and other SU Services staff, and learn valuable skills to contribute to their student group operations and experiences.
Who can come?
All members of student group executive teams are welcome to attend. SGS recommends the President attend training, if they have not attended in the past.
At a Glance:
- The session will take approximately three hours from start to finish.
- You should bring a pen, a notebook, anything you need to take notes! The session will involve time for networking, so bring business cards or group materials if you have any!
- We will be providing a meal. If you have any restrictions, please indicate in your registration!
- If you show up more than 15 minutes after the beginning of the first session, your attendance will not be counted.
- As part of the new Executive Training Program, we will offer a variety of breakout sessions on different topics.
2019 Executive Training
April 11, 2019 (Thursday), 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM
As part of your RSVP ticket order, select one of the following sessions to attend after SGS's presentation.
- Leadership 101: learn the basics of self awareness in leadership, adaptive leadership practices, and what to expect from your year.
- Burnout Prevention and Self Care: learn about how to recognize burnout in yourself and others, and discover strategies for self care to make the most of your year while being mindful of your health needs.
- Managing Conflict - Making Conflict Constructive: learn additional skills for managing conflicts and disagreements in your student group, and how it can make your club even stronger!
- Facilitating Effective Meetings: learn more about how to maximize your meeting time with your clubs with agendas, various meeting structures and strategies.
- Anti-Oppression and Systems thinking: facilitated by the Alberta Public Interest Research Group, learn how to analyze systems of oppression and collectively imagine a more inclusive future. Participants will leave the workshop with the skills and practices to create welcoming environments within their student clubs.
- Team Decision Making: Making a decision as a team can be challenging. This session will introduce the "Six Thinking Hats" model to help your team in the brainstorming and decision-making stages of your student group.
In the event of low enrolment, some breakout sessions may be cancelled. If this is the case, you will be informed of the breakout session you will be attending when you sign in at Executive Training.
If your student group handles money, then the executive member in charge of finances will need to completed Treasurer's Training.
Treasurer's training is conducted online through EClass. To sign up for the online module, please follow the link below to sign up! Make sure to complete Treasurer Training before the deadline assigned to your group!
NOTE: If you encounter any problems or have any questions about the above trainings, please contact Student Group Services as firstname.lastname@example.org
Event Organizer Training is hosted by the Office of the Dean of Students and can be taken at any time during the year - there is no deadline to take EOT other than ensuring you have at least two people who take it prior to any events you hold that involve alcohol.
EOT is only scheduled a few times over the Spring/Summer session, and will return to regular offerings during the Fall and Winter semesters. Please check the SGS website and Newsletter for updates and session announcements.
More information on EOT can be found here.
09:00am - 5:00pm
Monday to Friday
Student Group Services Office
0-81 Student Life Central
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW