About GLO: Skills Sessions
While GLO Skills modules can still be accessed via eClass, we're bringing them back to campus with in person sessions as well! Hosting sessions twice a month, we hope to bring a wider variety of topics to meet the diverse needs of Student Groups. While the target audiences are students in leadership roles in their clubs, all students are welcome at these sessions. Check out our schedule for more information about sessions this semester.
Project Management by the Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) Centre - September 14, 2022 5:00 - 6:30 PM
- Student group projects come in all shapes and sizes, from event planning to longterm programming initiatives. In this session, we'll define what a project is, identify the five levels of building a project (initiating, planning, executing, monitoring, closure); what happens when a project goes wrong and how to avoid this; common pitfalls for all five stages of building a project and tools you can use to avoid them!
Collaboration and Conflict by Student Group Services - September 29, 2022 5:00 - 6:30 PM
- Making a decision as a team can be challenging, and sometimes it'll lead you to conflict. This session will introduce the "Six Thinking Hats" model to help your team in the brainstorming and decision-making stages of your student group. Participants will learn the model and how to employ it when making plans and decisions with their groups. This session will also provide participants with tangible skills for managing conflicts and disagreements in their student group. Learn how to have difficult conversations and how conflict can make your club stronger!
Membership Retention by Student Group Services - October 12, 2022 5:00 - 6:30 PM
- Experiencing drop-off rates in your membership after September? Come to SGS's workshop on how to keep people around through the whole school year and beyond! During this workshop you will learn strategies to encourage members to stick to it through the thick and thin of reading weeks and final exams.
Values Based Leadership by the Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) Centre - October 25, 2022 5:00 - 6:30 PM
- Leadership comes in all forms and sizes, but crucial throughout your experience as a leader is knowing what drives you. Values-based leadership will discuss what values spark your motivations and furthers your leadership, and how you can put your values into practice. This session will define values-based leadership, discuss that against other leadership styles, explore your personal values, and then apply them to real-life situations!
- Are you a student group on campus? Do you want to make your events more sustainable? Then this event is for you!! We will be educating attendees on ways to plan, facilitate and wrap up their events and programming to a gold-level sustainable certification. NOTE: This session will be held in the Cascade room.
Membership Recruitment by Student Group Services - November 30, 2022 - 5:00 - 6:30 PM - Register here!
- Feel like finding new members for your club is a huge chore? Come to SGS's workshop on how to recruit new members using values-based recruitment tactics! During this workshop you will learn strategies for improving your recruitment time and effectively plan to grow or maintain your membership numbers.
For questions regarding the individual sessions and content provided, please contact Student Group Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
09:00am - 5:00pm
Monday to Friday
Student Group Services Office
0-81 Student Life Central
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW