Event Organizer Training & ProServe
The one universal requirement for all groups holding any event that has anything to do with alcohol is that they must send at least two executives (who will be attending the event and acting as your Primary or Secondary Event Organizers) to Event Organizer Training.
Offered by the Office of the Dean of Students
Event Organizer training includes free access to ProServe training, accessible as an online course. More information about ProServe is listed below. We recommend sending as many executives as you can to EOT, as early in the year as you can, so that you won’t ever be stuck for personnel who aren’t trained at your events. EOT is also tied to the individual student, and not the student group, so if you are a member of one group your EOT will transfer from group to group!
Things to Know:
- The training is regularly scheduled from 5:00 - 8:00 PM multiple times a year. You can expect at least one per month during the academic year, and fewer sessions over the summer.
- There is a minimum attendance requirement of 25 people – sessions with less than the required number may be cancelled at the discretion of the SERM Coordinator.
- Event Organizer Training can be taken at any time during the year - there is no deadline to take EOT other than ensuring you have at least two people who take it prior to any events you hold that involve alcohol.
Follow the link (in the title) for more information on EOT and sign up for upcoming EOT sessions!
ProServe is now required for the Primary and Secondary Event Organizer only when the group will be serving the alcohol themselves at the event. That means that if you are holding an event at an On-Campus Licensed Venue (RATT, Deweys, Faculty Club, Lister etc.) or an Off-Campus Licensed Venue (bars, clubs, restaurants etc.) you will not require ProServe! Check out this Process Map to see if you need ProServe or not!
If you are holding it at an On or Off Campus Unlicensed Venue (classroom, atrium, community hall etc.) then the PEO, SEO and all event security and servers will be required to obtain ProServe.
Instructions for how to register for ProServe training can be found at the link in the title > How do I get ProServe Training?
Things to know:
- You can take ProServe online at anytime
- It should take about 2 hours to watch the videos, complete the test and pass the course
- Once you receive your ProServe certification, it is valid for 5 years
09:00am - 5:00pm
Monday to Friday
Student Group Services Office
0-81 Student Life Central
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW