What are high-risk events?

What are high-risk events?

High Risk events are typically ones that involve alcohol, travel/transportation, physical activity, or a combination of the three. High Risk events are still ones that student groups can hold, however, it usually means that there are more risk management processes and procedures that need to be followed before approval will be granted. All High Risk event submissions are required to submit an Emergency Action Plan and Risk Assessment Plan to aid in the risk mitigation and assessment process. Read the sections below, and refer to this handy Process Map to see what additional requirements your high risk event might need!


A waiver is a legal contract between the participant and the host organization. The participant’s signature creates a binding contract where the participant gives away his/her right to sue. The purpose of your group having a waiver is to alert participants to any risks inherent in an activity, and to require the participant to take responsibility for his/her own actions in a voluntary activity. It works to limit your legal liability in event management.

Waivers for student groups can be individual participant waivers, sign-up sheets with a waiver statement at the top, or disclaimers printed on tickets or displayed at an event. The type of waiver your group will receive depends on the amount of risk involved in the activity.

Depending on your specific event, you may require waivers, ticket disclaimers, or display disclaimers for your event. Please fill out the Event Application form and if waivers or other risk management strategies are required, you will be notified by the SERM Coordinator. Waivers are typically required for events involving travel or physical activity, whereas ticket disclaimers are required for alcohol events. Click here for the Waiver Tip Sheet and the Waiver Cover Sheet.

Events with Alcohol

Follow the link (above) for events with alcohol submission requirements and other important information!

Events with Travel

If your group is having an event outside of the campus area (so outside of Edmonton – or outside of Camrose, if you’re an Augustana group), you need to get permission for this. The Off-Campus Activity and Travel Policy, approved in 2011, mandates this.

Follow the link (above) for events requiring travel submission requirements and other important information!

Events with Physical Activity

Follow the link (above) for events with physical activity submission requirements and other important information!

Please Note: U of A and Students’ Union insurance does not cover the instruction of physical activity. If your group wants to bring in an instructor to teach a class (i.e. yoga), the yoga teacher will need to obtain/produce a copy of their insurance policy covering their instruction. For more information, please talk to the SERM Coordinator.

Facebook Twitter Instagram







09:00am - 5:00pm
Monday to Friday


Student Group Services Office
0-81 Student Life Central
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW
Edmonton, AB
T6G 2J7