Recognizing students who make outstanding contributions to the campus community.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If I received an SU Award and need someone to verify it for an application, who can verify it?

A: You can list our Program Lead, Kristin LaGrange, at the contact info on the right-hand side of this page as your Award verifier. (Best of luck on your medical school/law school/graduate school/etc application!)

Q: If I applied for an award this year, when should I expect to hear back from the program?

A: You will hear back from the Awards Program administrators in September of the current year.

Q: If I received an SU award in a previous year, can I apply for the same award this year?

A: No, you cannot apply for an award you’ve received in a previous year.

Q: What do you mean by "current year"?

A: We mean the year you were enrolled in during the Fall 2018/Winter 2019 academic year.

Q: I'm worried my GPA isn't high enough to apply. Do the SU Awards only consider academic excellence?

A: Not entirely! We understand that many factors could be affecting a person's GPA. For many awards the GPA requirement is 2.1 as we also take into consideration community involvement, engagement on campus, and other factors. Some awards are based on academics so make sure you fully read the eligibility requirements of each award.

Q: Do I need to be enrolled at the UofA for the upcoming 2019-20 year to be eligible? I just completed my degree in the winter 2018 semester and will be graduating!

A: You are eligible to apply if you were enrolled in the Fall 2018/Winter 2019 academic year. The awards recognize achievement from the previous year, so you can still apply if you are graduating in June 2019. You must be finished or finishing your final year to qualify for awards specifically for individuals in their graduating year. The latest you can convocate is November 2019 to be considered for Centenary Awards.

Q: Are graduate students eligible for Students' Union Involvement/Centenary Awards?

A: No, graduate students are only eligible for the Coca-Cola Student Achievement Awards.

Q: I was only enrolled in classes for one semester this year due to work term/co-op/personal reasons. Can I still apply for these awards?

A: If you were enrolled for either Fall 2018 or Winter 2019 semesters, you are eligible to apply for the Students' Union Awards. We only consider GPA from the term you were enrolled in.

Q: I was only enrolled in classes for one semester this year due to work term/co-op/personal reasons. What value do I use for my cumulative GPA and credits total?

A: Input your GPA from the semester you were enrolled and record the total number of credits for the year, including work term credits.

Q: I am in a program that has "pass-fail" credits rather than grades (ex: Medical Doctorate program). How will this affect my ability to apply for awards with GPA requirements?"

A: We are able to request your grades from the faculty if they are available and we require them. We encourage you to apply for awards you think you are most qualified for. If you are in a pass-fail program, please put your GPA as 0.00 in the form and we will correct if you are successful.

Q: What documents do I need to apply?

A: You need a personal statement, a current resume, an unofficial transcript from the 2018-2019 academic year, and 1-2 reference letters.

Q: Do I need a personal statement/reference letter for each award I am applying for?

A: You will only submit one statement for all awards you wish to be considered for. We recommend that you tailor your statement to the award that you believe that you are most qualified for but take into consideration the criteria for all awards you apply for. Your reference letters can reflect this or speak on your general qualities as an applicant.

Q: Who should I ask to write a reference letter?

A: Your reference letter should compliment your awards selection and personal statement. Choose someone who can speak to the qualities and experience that the award is looking for. For example, if you are applying for academic awards, try to include a reference letter from a professor, teaching assistant, or someone else who can speak to your academic dedication. If you are applying for volunteer awards, you can ask someone within the organization you volunteer with or a previous employer. We do not require reference letters from specific people unless directly stated in the awards description.

Q: Should I submit my reference letter with my application or can my reference submit their letter themselves? A: Either option is acceptable, as long as the letter is submitted before the deadline. If you are uploading the reference letter yourself, please attach it in the document upload section of the application process.

Your reference can also submit the letter directly to awards@su.ualberta.ca in PDF format. In the application process, please upload a PDF document stating “Reference letters were submitted on my behalf by [name of reference].” This is so we can easily connect their letter with your application. Please remind them to include your full name in the application and ensure it is submitted prior to the deadline.

Q: Will I receive a confirmation email when I submit my application?

A: No. Typeform, the platform we are using to collect applications, will display a "thank you" message after you hit "submit" on your application, which means we have received it.

Q: How do I nominate my student group for awards?

A: There is a separate application form for student group awards. It can be found on the Awards Page.

Q: Are graduate student groups eligible for Student Group Awards?

A: Although graduate student groups are registered with Student Group Services, they are not considered a Students' Union recognized group and therefore are not eligible for the SU Student Group Awards.

Q: For the awards that list being a part of an "athletic program", do you need to be involved in on-campus athletics?

A: Involvement in any athletics program (recreational, varsity, etc) whether it is on campus or off campus will be considered unless the award specifies involvement on campus.

Q: Are Coca-Cola Achievement awards, the SU Award for Excellence, and the Hooper-Munroe Academic Achievement Award considered one of the three awards for which we are allowed to apply?

A: No. You can apply for up to three SU Involvement/Centennial Awards plus the Coca-Cola Achievement awards, the SU Award for Excellence, and the Hooper-Munroe Academic Achievement Award. To apply for these awards, to select "yes" when asked on the form.

Q: The award description for Coca-Cola Achievement Awards seems vague. Is there something specific I should talk about in my application?

A: Coca-Cola Achievement Awards description does not contain many specific conditions to allow for many types of students to apply. It is up to the applicant to interpret the requirements and apply them to their involvement on campus.

If you have any other questions email: awards@su.ualberta.ca

Facebook Twitter





10:00 AM to 4:00 PM


Student Life Central
0-81, Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW
Edmonton, AB
T6G 2J7