UASU Award for Leadership in Undergraduate Teaching (SALUTE)
SALUTE was developed in 1997 by Students’ Council to promote and encourage excellence in teaching by recognizing faculty members who make outstanding contributions in their roles as undergraduate instructors at the University of Alberta.
Students may nominate professors for SALUTE based upon criteria that students consider essential in an excellent teacher. The winners are then selected from a pool of nominees by a panel of students on the Awards Adjudication Committee.
The Students' Union believes that students are the best judges of teaching excellence, as only students can truly know how much they have learned from a teacher, and only students know how that teacher has inspired and encouraged them to learn on their own.
Students may nominate professors in whose classes they were enrolled in either Fall or Winter Term of the current consideration year: Fall 2019, Winter 2020.
How to nominate your professor for a SALUTE:
- Complete the application for the SALUTE Award, which will be made available at uasu.ca/Awards
The nomination will require the following information and documents to be considered:
- Student Nominator's Name, UAlberta Student ID Number, and UAlberta Email Address
- Name, Faculty affiliation, and UAlberta email address of the Professor to be nominated
- Written responses to the following prompts:
- Please describe the teaching styles and methods used by the instructor in the classroom that enhanced your learning experience. (max 300 words)
- Describe the support the instructor offered to students outside of class time (max 300 words)
- One letter of nomination. Maximum 500 words. Please indicate teaching style and methods used in the classroom, relationship with students outside of class, extra curricular involvement, involvement in department affairs and university committees.
- Required Supporting Document: Signature sheet of students who support this nomination. (Minimum 10, maximum 25).
- Full name and student ID must be included. Students signing must be registered in at least one 3 credit undergraduate course at the University of Alberta.
Optional Supporting Documents: - Additional Letters of support. Maximum of three letters, one page in length, each. These can be from faculty, alumni, students or members of the community who are knowledgeable about the instructor's current contributions to undergraduate teaching.
Please submit optional documents to email@example.com in PDF form.
Ready to nominate your professor? Click here!
10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Student Life Central
0-81, Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW