Bike Library & Workshop
-- Location -- 1-13 South Academic Building - Find us with Google Maps
Walk down the ramp, through the double doors, then take your first right.
Hours of Operation
SPRING/SUMMER 2018: Wednesday and Thursday from 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Please note that our bike mechanic is only in the shop on Wednesdays. The shop space on Thursdays is for DIY (Do It Yourself) work.
We rent bicycles from April to Mid-November. A bike costs $10/week.
Want to rent a bike? REGISTER HERE!
Please note that we are phasing out our wait list system. As of July 19th, the wait list will no longer be taking new people. People registered on the wait list BEFORE this date will still receive a bike from the wait list, after which time the bikes will be rented on a first come, first serve basis. It will be approximately 3-4 weeks (from July 19th) until bike rentals will be available for those not on the existing wait list.
We will teach you to fix your bike! Our workshop space has everything you need to fix your bicycle! Even a professional bicycle mechanic (on Wednesdays). GIVE US FEEDBACK HERE!
The Bike Library and Workshop is a fully equipped community bike workshop on campus at the University of Alberta. We provide the space and tools necessary to repair and maintain your bike and the services of our hired bike mechanic and skilled volunteers to teach you how to do it! We also provide bike rentals and have a wide variety of new and used parts for sale. We are run with the aid of several dedicated volunteers and sponsored by the Office of Sustainability.
Our full list of services includes:
- Bicycle rentals
- A workshop space with everything you need to fix your bicycle! Even a professional bicycle mechanic.
- New and used parts for sale
- Workshops and other opportunities to learn about bike safety, bike maintenance and cycling in Edmonton
- Volunteer opportunities
Volunteer With Us!
Interested in learning useful bike mechanic skills? Want to meet other cycling enthusiasts? Looking for a way to get involved in sustainability on campus? If you answered yes to one or all of these questions then the Bike Library and Workshop is the place for you! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please note that all new volunteers are required to undergo a 1-hour long basic bike maintenance training.
Why become a Bike Library Volunteer?
- Learn and practice bike maintenance skills
- Volunteer in a fun, fast paced, hands on environment
- Attend “Volunteers Only” skill building workshops for free
- Receive a discount on bike parts
We'll send you bi-weekly updates on upcoming workshops, events, and volunteer opportunities.
With the support of the Office of Sustainability, the Bike Library & Workshop provides access to affordable transportation with a lower carbon footprint.
Renting A Bike
The Bike Library and Workshop rents bikes to campus community members (students, staff and faculty). We have approximately 50 bikes available to rent for up to 4 weeks. Our bike selection ranges from mountain bikes, cruisers, road bikes and various hybrids. All Sustain SU bikes come equipped with a U-lock, front and back lights, and a bell. The bike rental season begins in early April and closes in late October.
- Sustain SU bicycle
- Sturdy U-lock
- Front and back lights
- $10/week up to 4 weeks
- We ask for a $60 deposit with all rentals. This deposit will be returned to you upon the return of all rented materials in good condition.
- Bikes may only be returned on Wednesdays. Bikes returned on Thursdays will not be accepted.
- We will deduct $10/week from your deposit for each week you are late returning your bike.
Loss, Theft, and Damage:
- If your bike and/or any of the accompanying accessories are lost or stolen, the value of the item will be deducted from your deposit. These deductions from the deposit allow us to replace or repair the bike and continue operating the program.
- The maximum amount of time you may rent a bicycle for is 4 weeks. After four weeks you must return your bicycle to the Bike Library and Workshop for a safety check up
- If there is no Wait List then you may renew your bicycle.
- If there is a Wait List we will have to pass your bicycle to the next person waiting. This is to ensure that all students have an equal opportunity to access our service.
- If you are unable to renew your bicycle due to the wait list keep checking back as it usually takes about one week for a bicycle to become available for you.
Submit your Rental Agreement and Waiver of Liability before you come in via this Google Form. Then stop by the Bike Library & Workshop (SAB 1-13) in person during drop in hours.
Note: please allow yourself enough time for bike rentals. Demand is high in the summer and you may be waiting up to 15 minutes for service. We will require your completion of a Rental Agreement and Waiver of Liability.
For information about cycling in Edmonton, check out the Edmonton Bicycle Commuters website.
1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
South Academic Building (SAB)
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2G7