Peer Support Centre: We're here to listen.
Interested in volunteering with us? Fill out the application here: Volunteer Application Form
Volunteer applications are accepted starting in March. The deadline to apply is July 11th at 11:59 PM. To apply, fill out the application form found in the link above. Applicants will be required to participate in a group interview, individual interview, and provide 2 references. Approximately 20-40 new volunteers are accepted each year. Successful applicants will complete 37 hours of crisis management, suicide intervention, and supportive listening training. Training dates are held at the last week of August, and first week of September. Specific dates are listed on our application and our PSC Volunteer FAQ tab. All training dates are mandatory!
Supportive Listening Volunteer: This position is meant for applicants who are looking to help clients in a one on one setting . As a Supportive Listening volunteer, you will be expected to attend our 37-hour mandatory training in August and September. This training will fully prepare you to have supportive listening and crisis management conversations with Peer Support Centre clients.
- 3 hours/week of shift room time (self scheduled)
- 4 hours/month of team time, including mandatory monthly meetings, planning events, etc.
- 3 hours/month of ongoing role plays to keep skills up to par.
- 2 hours/semester of Professional Development sessions per semester (offered monthly)
- TOTAL: **16.5 Hours/Month or ~ 5.4 Hours/Week.
Promotion Team Volunteer: This part-time position is meant for campus mental health advocates who are passionate about spreading awareness. As a Promotion Team volunteer, you would be part of the team that helps execute collaborative outreach events with other organizations, as well as events for the Peer Support Centre. These events are intended to educate the campus community on the services offered by the Peer Support Centre and other mental health initiatives. Specifically, as a Promotion Team volunteer, you will be responsible for planning, organizing, attending, and debriefing outreach events. As well as facilitating events, the Promotion Team is responsible for doing classroom presentations. It is important to note that in this position, you will not be seeing clients. This position will help our outreach initiative, giving students a better awareness of the services we offer. Included is 15 hour mandatory training happening during August and September.
- 12-15 hours/semester of outreach team time (planning, organizing, attending outreach events, mandatory monthly team meetings)
- Minimum of 4 hours/month, not including December and April
- 1 hour/semester of Peer Support Centre Information Training (online module and quiz)
- TOTAL: ~4 Hours/Month; less than 1 Hour/Week
Our volunteers are asked to join one of the three following teams:
- Outreach Team: This group is responsible for increasing awareness of the PSC on campus, collaborating with other student groups, and helping do presentations for classes about the services of the centre.
- Social Planning Team: This is an internal team, which aims to promote inter-volunteer familiarity and well-being by providing self-care opportunities and social events for volunteers.
- Training Team: This team organizes and coordinates Ongoing Role-Plays, as well as Personal Development Sessions for volunteers to improve their skills throughout the year.
The selection process for becoming a Peer Support Centre volunteer has several steps. This is to ensure that our volunteers are the right fit for the service and that the service is the right fit for you!
Group Interviews: Upon your successful application, you will be invited to attend one of our group interviews during the summer in Edmonton. These group interviews are required to be a Peer Support Centre volunteer. If you are out of town for the summer and cannot make a group interview, please contact us immediately.
We will be starting groups interviews in late May. You will be contacted regarding sign up for group interviews in early May.
Individual Interviews: Only selected applicants from the group interview will be asked to arrange an individual interview. This one on one interview will last 30 to 45 minutes and will be conducted by one of our staff members.
Application Review: We will only begin to review applications and confirm group interview dates in early May 2016. If you have any questions regarding the application process, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Training Dates These are the times in which training will be taking place. If you are unable to make it any of these times, please let the admin know as all of these dates are mandatory
- Saturday, August 19th: 11 am - 5 pm
- Sunday, August 20th: 11 am - 3 pm
- Tuesday, August 22nd: 6 pm - 9 pm
- Thursday, August 24th: 6 pm - 10 pm
- Saturday, August 26th: 10 am - 3 pm
- Sunday, August 27th: 10 am - 3 pm
- Tuesday, August 29th: 6 pm - 9 pm
- Thursday, August 31st: 6 pm - 9 pm
- Saturday, September 2nd: 10 am - 4 pm
“Volunteering at the PSC has been an amazing experience, getting to work with such a great team of individuals while learning about yourself and others is something that my university education would not be the same without”
“Life changing: I do conversations a different way and view people differently.”
"The opportunity to not only personally grow, but help support my university community has been one of the most rewarding experiences and more than I could have ever asked for from a volunteer position!"
“It feels good to see the campus send positive messages about the PSC (like on u of a confessions and compliments). Shows that they’re a part of a Centre that does a lot of good.”
Monday to Friday
9:00am - 5:00pm
9:00am - 8:00pm
Peer Support Centre
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW