Political Policy Students In Governance
Expires: April 30, 2019
- Undergraduate students know their needs best.
- The undergraduate population at the University of Alberta is diverse in its background and composition.
- Some University and Faculty policies already give undergraduate students and student groups representative capacity on certain committees and boards.
- There are over 600 representative positions filled by undergraduates at the University of Alberta.
- Undergraduate student associations are autonomous organizations that exist to advocate for the students they represent.
- Faculty and department support is appreciated by the Students’ Union and student organizations.
- Student representatives’ activities supplement the educational experiences of students.
- Undergraduate students are required to balance their academic, personal, and professional lives with their representative activities.
- Decisions taken with the best interests of the institution in mind must also note the interests of its largest body, undergraduate students.
- Undergraduate feedback is required and essential to inform University policies of their impact towards students on campus.
- The Students’ Union shall advocate that the University act fairly and equitably toward undergraduate student representatives and student group representatives, as they ought to any member of the University community.
- The Students’ Union shall advocate for increased training and support for undergraduate student representatives.
- That the Students’ Union shall advocate for appropriate and fair academic accommodations for student representatives.
- That the Students’ Union shall advocate against the elimination of undergraduate student representative positions at any level from policy or practice.
- The Students’ Union inform the University about its obligation to consult student representatives on academic, administrative, and operational issues.
- The Students’ Union shall advocate against the elimination of undergraduate student representative positions at any level unless doing so has direct benefits to students.
- The Students’ Union uphold the University to its obligation to consult student representatives on any issue academic, administrative, operational or otherwise that impacts students.
- The Students’ Union encourage faculties and departments to engage and support their student organizations, provided their independence is not perceived to be compromised and they continue to be driven by students.
- The Students’ Union shall actively communicate to the University the value of student representatives, and student representative groups in collegial governance and effective decision making for our campus community.
- The Students’ Union shall act to reduce barriers to student participation in University governance, especially for underrepresented groups.
- The Students’ Union take steps to ensure that University committees provide value for student representatives and best utilize their role as a voice for students.
- The Students’ Union celebrate the hard work done by undergraduate student representatives across our campuses.