Political Policy Student Space
Expires: April 30, 2023
- The University of Alberta lacks sufficient student space to accommodate the current student population.
- Current space planning has not sufficiently anticipated the needs of current or future students.
- Poorly managed spaces have serious implications that impact the quality of student life.
- Student spaces are in need of improvements at a rate that currently outweighs the abilities of the University of Alberta.
- Space planning in new and refurbished buildings will have significant impacts on students.
- Students and student groups alike require quality spaces on campus to succeed in pursuing their academic and extra-curricular goals.
- Students require space available to them according to their schedules.
- Students require space that is accessible and that affords the same choices to any user.
- Several spaces at the University of Alberta were built before a change in building codes and thus currently remain physically accessible to many students.
- The Students’ Union will advocate that the University of Alberta space allocation and development take into consideration the needs of students and student groups both present and future.
- The Students’ Union will advocate that student space development match the rate of deterioration.
- The Students’ Union will advocate for better care of current student spaces and the upkeep of essential learning environments.
- The Students’ Union will advocate that student space development follow the principle of carbon neutrality.
- The Students’ Union will advocate for the construction and renovation of classroom space such that they reflect advances in pedagogy.
- The Students’ Union will advocate that student spaces are open sufficient hours to address student needs.
- The Students’ Union will advocate for spaces that account for the need for universally designed spaces, such that they can be accessed by all students regardless of differences in accessibility needs.
- The Students’ Union advocacy on space allocation and building development policies will prioritize buildings that remain most inaccessible to students.
- The Students’ Union will advocate for extensive and sufficient consultation with students prior to developing new student spaces on campus.
- The Students’ Union will work towards ensuring that students will be responsible for the lowest possible cost for space development, renewal, and maintenance.
- The Students’ Union will continue to provide students with space to pursue their academic and extracurricular goals.
- The Students’ Union will work towards a better awareness of the current spaces available for students.