Political Policy Scholarships And Bursaries
Expires: April 30, 2023
- The cost of a university education has increased.
- This cost increase poses a great disincentive to accessing a university education, as well as a considerable barrier to finishing a degree.
- Scholarships and bursaries are an integral part of the student finance system, without which motivated and outstanding individuals could not afford a university education.
- The University of Alberta should not only aim to attract talented students, but also demonstrate a commitment to realizing the full potential of current undergraduate students.
- Financial need can be detrimental to academic and extracurricular student achievement by diverting student focus and effort to employment.
- The current scholarship and bursaries applications process is inefficient and time consuming.
- The Students’ Union shall lobby the University of Alberta to increase the number and value of awards granted to continuing undergraduate students in order to be consistent with the number and value of entrance awards.
- The Students’ Union shall lobby the University of Alberta and the Government of Alberta to increase the relative and absolute amounts of scholarships and bursaries that are awarded based on the students’ financial need and/or involvement.
- The Students’ Union shall work towards tailoring the SU Awards to a needs-based model to reward not only excellence in leadership and academics, but also to those who need financial support the most.
- The Students’ Union shall pursue a single point of entry to the scholarships and bursaries application process.
- The Students’ Union shall advocate that the University of Alberta and the Government of Alberta provide awards of merit based on leadership and community involvement, as well as scholarships based on academics.
- The Students’ Union shall advocate that the University of Alberta and the Government of Alberta invest in increased research funding for undergraduate students in the forms of research stipends, awards, and studentships.