Expires: April 30, 2022
- Residents require livable spaces in compliance with the Province of Alberta’s Minimum Housing Standards.
- Residents pay for and expect quality services such as laundry and kitchen appliances.
- Residents need to be able to schedule around maintenance staff entering their units.
- Residence services should follow clear deadlines with respect to inspections and notice of entry.
- Residents have the opportunity to be present during move-in, interim, and move-out inspections.
- Residence Associations are student representative associations and should have the opportunity to make decisions on behalf of and provide programs for their constituents.
- Residence Associations require office space, living space, the ability to communicate with their constituents, and clear guidelines as to their jurisdiction.
- Residence Association finances require transparent and efficient fee collection, financial regulation, administration, and support in order to function.
- Shared residence on University properties are exempt from the Residential Tenancies Act (1).
- The Students’ Union will advocate for accessible, affordable, clean, comfortable, and secure residences for students.
- The Students’ Union will advocate for quality residence services and fair processes for students.
- The Students’ Union will oppose rent and food plan increases beyond CPI unless increased funds benefit students living in residence directly.
- The Students’ Union will advocate that the residence fee schedule be consistent with respect to expenses and approved in a transparent manner.
- The Students’ Union will advocate for the fair treatment and support of Residence Associations, so that they can best fulfil their mandate.
- The Students’ Union will advocate that the Government of Alberta provide capital funds toward the development of additional student housing, only when such capital funds demonstrate a commitment to affordable housing.
- The Students’ Union will advocate for clear timelines on deferred maintenance in residences.
- The Students Union will advocate that shared University residences be included under provincial regulation or legislation.
(1) Government of Alberta. Accessed Jan. 30, 2018. “RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES ACT”. Queens Access Printer.