Political Policy Engagement
Expires: April 30, 2022
- The University of Alberta has declared the importance of student involvement in building a great university.
- The Students’ Union defines that student engagement includes, but is not limited to, students participating in the community in multiple senses, including but not limited to:
- Students getting involved in campus life through student groups and activities; and
- Students having opportunities for input in shaping their community.
- A comprehensive and holistic student experience is one where students can balance academics, extracurricular opportunities, and mental wellbeing.
- Involvement opportunities can lead to improvements in the mental, physical, and social health on campus and the larger community.
- Community and campus involvement actively develops the leadership qualities of students on campus.
- The University of Alberta Student Participation Process Handbook (UASPPH) is a tool that was created conjointly by University administration, the Students’ Union (SU) and the Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) in 2015. This document sets out guiding principles, a continuum of student participation, and process with regards to engaging students on campus about changes and issues.
- The Students’ Union shall encourage the University to actively foster campus community and student involvement by investing in initiatives and opportunities that promote engagement.
- The Students’ Union shall advocate that the University identify and reward the contributions of students who actively strive to improve their campus and the larger community.
- The Students’ Union shall set an exceptional standard within the University community through engaging students on projects, policies, or processes that impact students on campus in an effective and influential manner.
- The Students’ Union shall encourage the University to engage students on projects, policies, or processes that impact students on campus in a way that acknowledges how student feedback impacts decision making.
- The Students’ Union shall use the UASPPH where procedurally and situationally appropriate in its own engagement processes.
- The Students’ Union may advocate for the review and renewal of the UASPPH when this is both necessary and logistically possible.
- ↑ https://cloudfront.ualberta.ca/-/media/universitygovernance/documents/resources/guides-and-handbooks/ua-studentparticipationprocess-handbookwsummary.pdf