Political Policy Capital Projects
Expires: April 30, 2022
- The University has numerous sources of revenue and should not depend solely on students to finance capital projects.
- The University should not be spending tuition revenue on capital projects.
- Capital projects benefit the University and serve a wide range of communities beyond undergraduate students.
- The University of Alberta defines tuition as “the instructional costs based on classes and units of courses weight a student registers in per terms.” 
- Student fees can be described as additional costs charged by the University of Alberta and/or University of Alberta Students’ Union that students pay for services, which are not directly related to tuition.
- Undergraduate student-oriented components of campus space include, but are not limited to:
- Lecture Theatres;
- Recreational spaces for student use;
- Social spaces for student use;
- Space for student resources;
- Performance spaces; or
- Libraries or other study spaces.
- The Students’ Union will advocate that tuition revenues shall not be used to fund capital projects.
- The Students’ Union will advocate that a dedicated student fee for a capital project shall not be used to fund the construction of spaces which do not include undergraduate student-oriented components.
- The Students’ Union will engage and consult with students over the creation, use, and termination of student fees.
- The Students’ Union will advocate that the Students’ Union participate in defining the purpose and scope of any project where a student fee is involved.
- The Students’ Union will advocate that all capital projects funded directly by a student fee dedicated to that project must include proportional commitments from other stakeholder groups.
- The Students’ Union will advocate that a dedicated student fee for a capital project shall not be implemented until such a time as students have the ability to receive benefits from their contribution.
- The Students’ Union will advocate that any capital project funded directly by a dedicated student fee shall have a governance structure that includes adequate student representation.
- The Students’ Union will advocate that any dedicated student fee that funds a capital project shall be eliminated upon the final payment of the agreed upon student contribution.
- ↑ Undergraduate Cost Calculator, University of Alberta Website (Retrieved Sept. 2018)