A Bylaw Respecting The Students' Union Faculty Membership Fees
1 Short Title
- This Bylaw may be referred to as the "Faculty Membership Fees" Bylaw.
- The purpose of a “Faculty Student Fund” is to provide financial support for the improvement of teaching and learning in a Faculty. Student contributions are collected and used to fund projects which enhance the quality of undergraduate education in the Faculty.
- For the purposes of this Bylaw:
- "Faculty” means any Faculty or School of the University of Alberta, as identified in the University Calendar, including the School of Native Studies.
- "Faculty Student Fund” means a fund created specifically for a designated faculty, administered according to the provisions set out in this bylaw.
- "Faculty Student Fee” means the per student fee that is collected as a contribution to the “Faculty Student Fund”.
- “Faculty Association” means an undergraduate faculty association, registered with the Students’ Union and recognized by the Faculty.
- Faculty Student Funds are intended to be specific to each participating faculty, and may vary between different faculties.
- Faculty Student Funds can only be created to generate resources for pre-identified priorities.
- These priorities must be academic in nature, and must enhance the quality of undergraduate education in the Faculty.
- Priorities to be funded may include, but not be limited to:
- Lab and equipment improvements or purchases;
- Computer resources;
- Classroom upgrades;
- Library resources;
- Creation or improvement of study space;
- Expanding the availability of courses;
- Scholarships or bursaries.
- A Faculty Student Fund will only be collected if approved by a 50% + 1 majority of students in that Faculty who voted. Each student must be given the opportunity to vote in a referendum, run according to this and other relevant Students’ Union bylaws.
5 Initiation and Creation
- No new Faculty Student Fund shall be initiated or created in any Faculty of the University of Alberta. .
- The Faculty Student Fund will be collected by the Office of the Registrar.
- This fee will be included on the student’s fee assessment, and will be indicated by Faculty Student Fee.
- The Office of the Registrar and the Comptroller will assess, collect, receipt, distribute, account for and give proper taxation credit for all Faculty Student Fees collected, in accordance with relevant and current University and Government policies.
- The assessments for a Faculty Student Fund will be transferred to the respective Faculty, immediately following the Registration Deadline, to an account that is controlled by the Dean of the Faculty.
- There is no provision for an administrative overhead to be collected or kept by the Office of the Registrar.
- The Faculty Student Fee will be assessed:
- At the same rate to all students registered in a particular Faculty. This includes full-time, part-time, Special, Visiting, off-campus, and special programs students.
- In both terms of the Winter Session.
- The Faculty Student Fee will not be assessed during the Intersession.
- There will be no provision for:
- refunds, reductions, transfers, or cancellations of the Faculty Student Fee if a student withdraws, transfers, or is excluded, after the Registration Deadline.
- a student to opt out of paying a Faculty Student Fee.
- All money collected for the Faculty Student Fund will be held in an account that is controlled by the Dean of the Faculty.
- Each Faculty, in which a Faculty Student Fund has been approved, must create a Faculty Student Fund Committee. This committee will be responsible for:
- Administering the fund as per this bylaw.
- Submitting an annual report, by March 15, detailing the operations and administration of its funds to Students’ Council.
9 Composition of Faculty Student Fund Committee
- The Faculty Student Fund Committee will be composed of the following members:
- the Vice President (Academic) of the Undergraduate Faculty Association, as Chair;
- the President, or designee, of the Undergraduate Faculty Association, as a voting member;
- one student representative from each Department within the Faculty, as chosen by the respective Departmental Club, as a voting member;
- one faculty member from each Department within the Faculty, as a non-voting member;
- the Dean of the Faculty, or designee, as a non-voting member.
- The minimum number of voting students on the committee will be seven (7).
- Quorum for any meeting of the committee will be exactly one-half plus one of the total number of voting representatives.
- A Faculty will have the opportunity to add additional student-at-large or faculty-at-large representatives if it so chooses. In this case, the Undergraduate Faculty Association will appoint the student representatives, and the Dean of the Faculty will appoint the faculty representatives.
- In Faculties where no departments exist, where there are no organized departmental student groups, or where multiple departmental student groups exist, all of the voting student representatives and all of the non-voting faculty representatives will be selected from the Faculty-at-large. In this case, the Undergraduate Faculty Association will appoint the student representatives, and the Dean of the Faculty will appoint the faculty representatives.
- The committee will have the opportunity to add any non-voting member(s) it deems necessary, in a resource capacity. The addition of new members will be done by a simple majority vote of the committee.
- Each Faculty will have the flexibility to create a committee that reflects its own unique characteristics, provided that the minimum requirements outlined in this bylaw are satisfied.
10 Faculty Bylaw
- Each Faculty will be responsible for creating its own Bylaw governing the administration of its Faculty Student Fund.
- The Faculty Bylaw must adhere to the guidelines outlined in this Bylaw.
- The Faculty Bylaw must be approved by a majority vote of Students’ Council prior to the Referendum being run in the Faculty.
- The Faculty Bylaw will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Composition of the Faculty Student Fund Committee;
- Terms of reference for the Faculty Student Fund Committee;
- Purpose of the fund;
- Dollar amount to be charged per student per term;
- Procedure for identifying and selecting academic projects to be funded;
- Procedure for disbursing funds; and
- Description of all financial regulations governing the fund.