Event Tips Checklist
There are many of factors to consider when planning an event. Use this list to ensure that your event runs on time, on budget and that you and your group have fun in the process!
Set clear goals & objectives
- What kind of event do you want to have?
- What do you want to accomplish?
- Create a contact list with everyone involved
- Set a plan with a timeline
Determine your budget and resources
- How much money do you have?
- Know your financial limits—make sure you don't spend money you don't have, or can't get!
- Maintain good records—keep track of all income and expenses.
- Make sure everyone retains receipts so all money is accounted for.
- Expect the unexpected—extra expenses will come up, so plan ahead.
- Consider co-sponsorship with other campus organizations to share expenses of your event.
- Do you have a committee or group to help plan and run the event? What about staff and volunteers?
- Is the venue available?
- Do you have alternate dates?
- Are similar events running close to yours?
- Are there any other events, holidays or activities that may conflict with your date?
- Who is your audience?
- How will you communicate your event to your audience?
- How will you distribute tickets?
- Have you contacted the media and any relevant organizations?
- Do you have attractive and informative flyers and handbills? How will you distribute them?
- Have you met with the venue manager to arrange staffing and production details?
- Have you provided a written outline of the event to the technical director?
- Have you arranged for tenant liability insurance?
- Have you paid the venue deposit and received an estimate of production costs?
Food and beverages
- Will there be food & beverages at your event?
- Who will provide it? Are they aware of health and liquor regulations?
- If liquor will be served, do you have a liquor license?
- Have you counted your inventory?
- Have you notified the venue that you will be selling t-shirts, cd’s, posters, etc.?
- Have you factored in the venue's comission?
After the event
- Have you collected all of your group’s materials from the venue?
- Are all the bills paid?
- Has next year’s date been booked?
- Evaluate the event and make notes regarding what went well and what could have been improved.
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW