Students' Union Building (SUB)
The Students’ Union Building plays a key role in the long-term financial viability and operational capability of the Students’ Union. From providing consistent, significant long-term business and lease revenue to ensuring that there are unique programming capacities for both the SU and student groups, SUB plays a central role in the SU's daily activities.
As a key facility on campus, the building needs to be kept current and relevant. The SUB renovation project is intended to address current weak spots in how the building has developed over time, and is a significant update. The project is designed to achieve two important long-term goals: ensuring that the building continues to be kept up-to-date and well-maintained, and encouraging student involvement in campus groups, events, and volunteer opportunities.
More specifically, the project will
- Significantly expand social and study space;
- Provide improved facilities to support our more than 400 student groups, including additional bookable spaces;
- Create an involvement centre that connects students with volunteer and student group opportunities, and works with the University to promote the many academically-oriented involvement options available to students;
- Rearrange SU-operated student services to enhance accessibility; and
- Create a student governance centre, incorporating student elections, student legislative offices, and Discover Governance, a student-directed governance advisory service.
The project was approved in a student referendum held in March 2012, and had to go through a number of steps before construction could begin. The project is currently in its construction phase, which began in mid-2013; the project is scheduled to be completed in June 2015.
A copy of the original Stakeholder Presentation is available here.
A copy of the architect's Feasibility Study is available here.
A copy of the Schematic Design Report is available here.
* Content from University of Alberta Design and Construction Standards and Guidelines
Students' Union Executive and Administrative Offices
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW