Where involvement begins.
President and Treasurer Training
Student Group Services provides specialized executive training for Presidents and Treasurers of student groups on campus. Attendance at this training is mandatory for the elected President(s) and Treasurer of your group as part of the club's recognition agreement registration. Training must be completed by the last day of the second month following your election month. For more details, see our Registration How To page.
Your group's president will have to attend this session as part of your registration. If the president cannot attend, an appointed proxy (replacement representative) may attend.
NEW! All members of executive teams are also welcome to join the president at the training session! This way, your club can also gain additional knowledge by attending more than one concurrent session (see below)!
- The session will take approximately three hours from start to finish.
- You should bring a pen, a notebook, anything you need to take notes! The session will involve time for networking, so bring business cards or group materials if you have any!
- We will be providing a meal. If you have any restrictions, please indicate in your registration!
- If you show up more than 15 minutes after the beginning of the first session, your attendance will not be counted.
- As part of the new President's Training Program, we will offer a variety of breakout sessions on different topics.
Reserve your spot in your indicated training session on Eventbrite:
**NOTE: The training session that your group should attend to avoid being frozen is indicated in the APPROVAL message for your student group registration. if you are unsure if when you are supposed to complete this training, please contact SGS.
For NEW GROUPS, please wait until your student group registration application has been APPROVED before registering for President's or Treasurer's Training. **
As part of your RSVP ticket order, select a concurrent session to attend after SGS's presentation. The sessions offered will be as follows:
- Leadership 101: learn the basics of self awareness in leadership, adaptive leadership practices, and what to expect from your year. Recommended for first-time Presidents and executive team members.
- Burnout Prevention and Self Care: learn about how to recognize burnout in yourself and others, and discover strategies for self care to make the most of your year while being mindful of your health needs.
- Managing Conflict - Making Conflict Constructive: learn additional skills for managing conflicts and disagreements in your student group, and how it can make your club even stronger!
- Diversity and Inclusion in Clubs: Learn about the importance of making clubs safe spaces for all, and some best practices for welcoming wide varieties of students to join your membership.
- Facilitating Effective Meetings: learn more about how to maximize your meeting time with your clubs with agendas, various meeting structures and strategies.
In the event of low enrolment, some breakout sessions may be cancelled. If this is the case, you will be informed of the breakout session you will be attending when you sign in at President's Training.
Treasurer Training will now be taking place online through EClass. To sign up for the online module, please follow the link below to sign up! Make sure to complete Treasurer Training before the deadline assigned to your group!
NOTE: If you encounter any problems or have any questions about the above trainings, please contact Student Group Services as email@example.com
Event Organizer Training
Offered by the Office of the Dean of Students
The Student Event Risk Management Coordinator provides event planning and risk mitigation training sessions for student group event planners on campus. Each student group should have at least one member complete this training annually, and two (or more!) members with the training who will be acting as the Primary and Secondary Event Organizers if events will be high risk or will involve alcohol.
Things to Know:
- The training is regularly scheduled from 5:00 - 8:00 PM multiple times a year. You can expect at least one session per month during the academic year, and fewer sessions over the summer.
- Training is valid for one calendar year from the date it is taken, and must be renewed annually for anyone acting as PEO or SEO.
- There is a minimum attendance requirement of 25 people – sessions with less than the required number may be cancelled at the discretion of the SERM Coordinator.
- You should bring a pen, a notebook, anything you need to take notes! An EOT Handbook will be provided to each participant. Please bring any food you require with you to the session, as none will be provided.
- If you need to sign up for ProServe (because your group will be serving alcohol), please register for a ProServe code using this link. Refer to this Process Map to see if you need ProServe for your event. If you have ProServe already, please send a picture or screenshot of your card to firstname.lastname@example.org to be recorded on file.
UPCOMING EOT SESSIONS
Summer EOT sessions will not be regularly scheduled. Please check back here or refer to the SGS Newsletter for date announcements. Regular sessions will resume in August.
NOTE: For any questions, please contact Chelsea Livingstone, the Student Event Risk Management Coordinator in the Office of the Dean of Students, at email@example.com
09:30am - 4:30pm
Monday to Friday
Student Group Services Office
0-81 Student Life Central
Students' Union Building
University of Alberta
8900 - 114 Street NW